Friday, December 11, 2009

VR in Education

Does virtual reality (VR) or the 3D web have a place in K-12 education?
I think that with more time to evolve and with the right rules and restrictions it would be a good thing to have in the classroom. However, it would have to be for high school and college students and possibly late middle school students;I do not think that it would be appropriate for elementary students. When students use VR they have to have control of what they are doing and the ability to stay on track, it would probably be to much for elementary students no matter how emersed they are in the virtual world.

Is virtual reality safe?
Like I said with the right rules and restrictions it would be pretty safe. There are always those predators out there in the virtual world that are ready to take advantage of young people but with a teacher to monitor what is happening it should not be too big of a problem. As long as the software allows a teacher to monitor the students at all times the VR should be fairly safe.

Given the time it takes to learn to interact in a virtual world, can an educator justify spending that time away from the typical curriculum?
I believe that as the virtual world evolves and becomes more advanced it could be a good tool for teachers to use in the classroom and away from the typical curriculum. At the moment however I do not think I could justify taking the time from the typical curriculum, I would have to invest more time learning about it first before I would use it in the classroom.

Do you think VR is just a fad?
I do not think that VR is just a fad, it is the technology in the world getting better and more interactive. As we go into the future I think that virtual reality will become a tool for people in their jobs and in education. All we can do is see what the future brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment